SPANA has an exciting opportunity opening up in our Major Gifts team for a Major Donor Manager. This is a varied new role and would suit a bright, conscientious and flexible team-player who has a can-do attitude.
The successful applicant will manage SPANA’s major donor programme, which has grown out of the Direct Marketing programme and is still in a fledgling stage. You’ll be developing the programme as significant growth is expected as part of our five-year strategy. You’ll have the help of a direct report for running the mailings, small events, correspondence, thanking and prospect research. You’ll need to have brilliant communication skills to write compelling, emotive copy and be able to pick the phone and talk to donors – mainly for thanking, stewardship and administrative purposes.
|Location||SPANA head office, London.|
|Hours of work||Standard hours are 9.00am-5.00pm, Monday to Thursday, and 9.00am-4.30pm Fridays, although these may be varied in line with SPANA’s staggered hours policy.|
|22 days annual leave, excluding bank holidays, plus three additional days to be taken over the Christmas period when the office is closed. Further days of leave will be earned after two years of service – see the employment handbook for details.|
|Remuneration||Competitive – based on experience|
|Overall purpose of the role||The Major Donor Manager is responsible for delivering SPANA’s major donor programme, to maximise income and provide exemplary stewardship. The post holder will also deputise for the Head of Philanthropy as required and will work collaboratively to ensure voluntary income is maximised by the Major Donor team and across the Fundraising department.|
|Line manages:||Philanthropy Executive|
|Line managed by:||Head of Philanthropy|
|The Fundraising Team
This role sits within the Major Gifts team, which is part of the wider Fundraising department. . The Major Gifts team is responsible for raising income from high-value donors, legacies, trusts and corporates. The Fundraising department also comprises Donor Marketing &
1. Major donor fundraising programme management
- Maintain and build SPANA’s portfolio of major donors and philanthropists, developing existing and new relationships to maximise income though activities including face to face meetings, phone calls, mailings and feedback reports.
- Deliver a structured acquisition plan for the major donor programme, to maximise income and donor numbers.
- Manage the major donor direct marketing programme, working across all aspects including briefing, sourcing information, writing copy, managing data selection, print management and thanking suite.
- Manage the major donor stewardship programme, which will entail researching donors, producing a communications plan and an annual events programme to cultivate relationships.
- Build compelling cases of support around key areas of SPANA’s work.
- Ensure all major donors receive exemplary stewardship and supporter care that meets, and exceeds, expectations.
- Support SPANA’s statutory fundraising programme, working with the Senior Trusts Fundraising Officer and other colleagues to secure income from statutory sources such as DFID and DEC.
- To serve as a liaison between the Major Donor team and other SPANA colleagues to enable the development of team activities in international markets, such as Australia.
- To support the Major Gifts team’s thanking programme, ensuring all donors are thanked when colleagues are absent or during peak times.
- Deputise for the Head of Philanthropy when required.
2. Management and Budgets
- Provide line management and support for the Philanthropy Executive.
- To have responsibility for the major donor budget and contribute to target setting, monitoring and analysis of the programme.
- Manage the Major Donor team’s activity calendar, co-ordinating with Fundraising colleagues to ensure an integrated approach is taken.
- Keep-up-to-date of the latest legislative and statutory developments relating to the role, advising staff and the Senior Management Team as appropriate.
- Ensure all policies and procedures within the Major Gifts department are up to date and legally compliant.
- Uphold and promote SPANA’s policies and procedures at all times.
- To undertake any other duties not specified above and that are within the context and grade of this post.
This job description is not exhaustive.
As a small charity (in terms of staffing, not ambition nor reach) at times we need everybody to pull together and help out so, in addition to the person specification, we require staff to:
- Be positive with a friendly manner whilst remaining professional and efficient.
- Be flexible as from time to time the post holder may be asked to perform other duties.
- To resolve supporter complaints quickly, appropriately and professionally in regard to the areas that their role relates to.
- Enjoy working in a team and have a strong team ethic.
- To maintain, improve and develop team processes and procedures as and where necessary.
- To gain an in-depth understanding of SPANA’s charitable work in order to communicate confidently to current and potential donors.
- Share information with the team, whilst respecting confidentiality, so that you and your colleagues have all the information you need to perform your duties effectively.
- Maintain strict confidentiality at all times.
- Be committed to the aims and objectives of SPANA.
- To attend and assist at fundraising events and be willing to work occasional weekends and evenings when required due to events and community activities.
- Be willing to work within SPANA’s employment policies.
|Experience and Knowledge||Essential||Desirable|
|Substantial fundraising experience, including major donor fundraising.||(E)|
|Demonstrable track record of achieving and exceeding income targets.||(E)|
|Experience of writing persuasive and engaging DM appeals and proposals to achieve income targets||(E)|
|Experience of building strong and effective relationships with donors, potential supporters and other stakeholders.||(E)|
|Experience of researching individuals and matching their interests to suitable projects to build a long term relationship.||(E)|
|Experience of using databases, preferably Raisers Edge; setting up/following procedures; and understanding data.||(E)|
|Demonstrable experience of using Microsoft Office.||(E)|
|Experience of statutory fundraising.||(D)|
|Experience of line management.||(D)|
|Experience of managing events||(D)|
|Experience of giving presentations.||(D)|
|Skills, Abilities & Attitudes|
|Outstanding written, verbal and interpersonal skills.||(E)|
|Ability to think laterally and identify suitable projects to build long term relationship with donors.||(E)|
|Well organized and able to manage a varied workload, prioritising effectively, to meet deadlines under pressure.||(E)|
|A diligent researcher with excellent attention to detail.||(E)|
|Highly numerate, with the ability to create, maintain and monitor budgets and expenditure summaries.||(E)|
|Takes responsibility for own areas of work.||(E)|
|Work well within a team.|
|Maintains effective administrative systems and procedures||(E)|
|Educated to degree level or equivalent||(D)|
|Uphold the fundamental principles and act with integrity and in accordance with SPANA’s values and obligations||(E)|
|Recognise the implications of working within a charity and a voluntary organisation||(E)|
|Ensure SPANA’s equal opportunities policy is upheld||(E)|
|Able to work occasional unsociable hours, weekends and stay overnight when required for travel||(E)|
Pension scheme – you contribute 5% SPANA contributes 10%
Discounted gym membership and PureGym and Nuffield Health
Employee assistance programme
Flat rental support agreement
Cycle to work scheme