With close to 300,000 followers already across our social media channels, and many more accessing our content through the website, e-news and other digital channels, our reach is already impressive. But with your vision and creativity, that’s just the start.
Working within a small team, you’ll enjoy a supportive working environment, training and development opportunities, a healthy marketing budget, flexible working, generous benefits and occasional travel too.
You’ll bring with you a creative, ambitious and positive attitude. You’ll be a confident self-starter, proactively developing and implementing digital marketing strategies while equally comfortable working alongside colleagues in content, PR and fundraising teams to devise and deliver integrated campaigns.
You’ll need a good eye for detail and proven expertise in tailoring your approach to meet the needs of your audience too.
|Department||Communications, Content & Emergency Response|
|Location||SPANA head office, London. Plus domestic and international travel as required.|
|Hours of work||34.5 hours per week, working hours to be agreed (subject to SPANA’s flexible working policy). Regular out of hours work will be required – due to the nature of the role, this may include occasional weekends and overnight stays both within the UK and overseas. SPANA operates a time off in lieu policy, which is detailed in the employee handbook.|
|22 days annual leave, excluding bank holidays, plus three additional days to be taken over the Christmas period when the office is closed. Further days of leave will be earned after two years of service – see the employment handbook for details.|
|Remuneration||£35,000. 10 per cent employer contributory pension to personal pension plan matched by 5 per cent employee contribution. Private healthcare scheme.|
|Overall purpose of the role||To maintain, develop and grow SPANA’s digital profile, including the website, social media sites, apps and emergent channels and tools. To support the communications team’s awareness-building, engagement and donor retention aims. To liaise with the fundraising team, which directly manages pages, sections, campaigns and tools relating to income generation and donation processing across digital platforms.|
|Line managed by:||Head of Communications|
- Maintain and expand SPANA’s social media profiles, supporting strategic communications targets and KPIs, working within agreed house style guidelines. Develop and manage all engagement/retention-based posts and advertising.
- Engage in communication with users, responding to comments and messages.
- Provide regular analytics and evaluation reports, making strategic recommendations based on results and trends.
- Plan content (photo, video, case study etc) requirements in advance and commission via the content team.
- Stay informed of upcoming trends and developments within the field of social media and make recommendations accordingly.
- Keep the Head of Communications informed of reputational threats identified while scanning social media. Liaise with supporter care to ensure out of hours cover is provided where necessary.
- Working with the Head of Communications, oversee engagement with high profile influencers and celebrity supporters via social media channels, as appropriate.
- With the Head of Communications, Director of Communications, Content & Emergency Response and fundraising colleagues, devise and deliver SPANA’s social media strategy and social media house style.
- Develop the main SPANA website as the hub of digital communications activity, ensuring content is compelling and supports the SPANA brand.
- Continually work to improve user experience. Work with the Digital Fundraising Officer to review donor journeys, supporting income generation.
- Ensure content remains accurate and up to date at all times; add new publications (including SPANA News, Stablemate and the annual review) and revise statistics and policy statements as necessary.
- Review the accuracy and timeliness of all SPANA copy and content online, including the SPANA website. Perform a detailed sweep of all online content annually, ensuring statistics and all other content remains accurate, up to date and in line with the current SPANA annual review.
- Develop portals for professional resources, including veterinary and education.
- Uphold SPANA’s data protection policies and work within all relevant legislative/regulatory frameworks, including in relation to marketing preferences.
- Build pages and microsites in support of communications-led campaigns, such as International Working Animal Day.
- Ensure SPANA has high levels of security across all its digital communications tools and channels.
Strategy and planning
- Through regular meetings and collaboration between the communications, content & emergency response department, the fundraising department and external agencies, coordinate an integrated digital communications schedule (including content planning, social media, the website, e-appeals and the e-newsletter). As part of this project, manage a social media calendar, including a schedule of all posts and advertising led by communications (engagement and retention) and fundraising (income generation). Ensure seamless integration between departments and agencies.
- Review and annually update digital communications strategy, working alongside departmental colleagues, other internal departments and external agency colleagues.
- Work with the fundraising department and agency staff to continually improve audience targeting and messaging for digital engagement communications, based on data insights and fundraising strategy.
Reporting and evaluation
- Produce a monthly report on key digital and content metrics.
- Develop and implement new analytic tools, improving reporting mechanisms to maximise results and inform future activity.
- Produce and distribute SPANA e-newsletters, coordinating scheduling of activity with the Digital Fundraising Officer, who produces e-appeals. Communicate regularly to ensure seamless integration.
- Provide copywriting and proofing/editing support for all digital communications channels.
- Lead on the annual production of delegated budget cost centres and KPIs.
- Manage account codes within the SPANA budget, for both income and expenditure, as delegated by the Director of Communications, Content and Emergency Response.
- Attend annual appraisal meetings with the Head of Communications, and represent the department at marketing and staff meetings.
- Attend meetings of the SPANA Staff Council (as elected).
- Develop plans in line with the aims and objectives of the communications strategy and KPIs agreed at appraisal meetings
- Produce regular updates for the Director of Communications, Content & Emergency Response, including narrative and statistical input into SPANA council reports.
- Deliver digital projects as briefed by other teams and communications colleagues via Project Initiation Forms.
- Advise SPANA country directors and others on the development of international SPANA digital activity. Work to achieve brand consistency across all platforms.
- Maintain ownership of all SPANA URLs.
- Ensure integration with fundraising objectives, attending regular coordination meetings with fundraising and agency staff.
- Provide support for other departments in using the SPANA website’s content management system.
- Ensure legislative and regulatory compliance (including data protection) at all times, advising staff of relevant developments.
- Ensure assets are correctly credited when used.
- Ensure all external communications, including website copy and social media posts, are on-brand and proofed/approved by the Head of Communications or the Director of Communications, Content & Emergency Response.
- Keep abreast of competitor activity and the latest developments in digital technology and marketing.
- Provide out of hours support as required, particularly in relation to crisis management activity or SPANA’s emergency programme.
- Support other communications functions occasionally.
- Uphold and promote SPANA’s employment policies.
- Any other duties that may reasonably be required.
|Essential skills and experience
|Desirable skills and experience
Pension scheme – you contribute 5% SPANA contributes 10%
Discounted gym membership and PureGym and Nuffield Health
Employee assistance programme
Flat rental support agreement
Cycle to work scheme